Close
Login

Quick Contact

Name: (*)
Invalid Input
Email: (*)
Invalid Input
Message: (*)
Invalid Input
Spam Protection
Invalid Input

Online Status

My status
Andros

Andros island, most northerly and second largest of the Cyclades group of Greek Aegean Islands,380 square km in area. Its terrain is composed of ranges of mountains separated by river beds, gorges and valleys planted with vines and fruit trees.

andros_light

The capital of the island is Andros, or Hora, and it's also one of its ports, the principal one being Gavrio. Andros was the birth place of many ship-owners and its Naval museum, in Hora, is a testament to that.

andros_island

Also in Hora there is an Archaeological Museum with Geometric, Classic, Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine exhibits, as well as a Museum of Modern Art. Sea lovers can find good swimming beaches at Hora, Nimborio, Paraporti and in the small bays of Yiala and Pisso Yiala. Wooded, well-watered, and mountainous, it is an eparkhía ("eparchy"), with its capital at the town of Ándros, on the east coast. South of the capital is the port of Korthion; to the north, the Palaiokastron 625 m, with ruins of a Venetian castle and medieval town. The ruins of Palaeopolis, the ancient capital, support a hamlet, Palaiopolis, on the western coast.

The ancient population was mainly Ionian. Originally dependent upon Eretria, the second city of ancient Euboea, it sent colonies to Chalcidice, the great peninsula of northeastern Greece, in the 7th century BC. It submitted to Persia in 490 BC and was harried by the Athenian fleet for supplying ships to the Persian king Xerxes in 480. The Athenian leader Pericles forced Ándros to admit Athenian settlers, but it revolted in 411 or 410. During the 4th century it was again a member of the revived anti-Spartan Delian League. In 200 it was captured by a combined Roman, Pergamese, and Rhodian fleet. It remained with Pergamum until 133 BC, when it became part of the Roman province of Asia. From AD 1207 to 1566 it was under the protection of Venice, falling to Turkey in the latter year. It became part of Greece in 1829.

One of the most significant monuments in the capital of Andros, is its famous castle, which was built by Marinos Dandalos, after he conquered the island. The castle's towers and barracks, as well as the blazons of the Venetian rulers, were well preserved until 1943. After the heavy bombardment of that year, the castle was completely destroyed.

 Today, one can only see its ruins. From "Messa Castro", which included the chambers of the Venetian ruler, one can see only parts of the tower's wall, while from "Kato Castro" there are still parts of the walls and the buildings. The spring of mineral water of Sariza is situated in the village of Apikia, 4 km west of Hora. The spring is situated above the village's central square, and it attracts many visitors who come to drink its water.  andros_view

In the same village - occasionally called "Sariza", because of the spring - is the bottle factory of the famous water which is recommended for cases of urinary gravel and psammiasis. After being poured to bottles, the water is sold throughout Greece under the name of "Sariza" or "Lezina". The Naval Museum of Andros is one of the most impressive buildings in Hora. It includes a wide collection of naval implements, models of ships and photographs. The Museum attracts a multitude of visitors, in the summer.

After being poured to bottles, the water is sold throughout Greece under the name of "Sariza" or "Lezina". The Naval Museum of Andros is one of the most impressive buildings in Hora. It includes a wide collection of naval implements, models of ships and photographs. The Museum attracts a multitude of visitors, in the summer.

Architecture in Andros island doesn't follow the strict rules of the traditional Cycladic patterns. Typical Aegean-type houses co-exist with neoclassical buildings, Venetian tower-houses and stone-houses. Common types of houses found in Andros are "makrynari", various types of towers and tower-houses, farm-houses and typical mansions of navy captains and merchants.

Other interesting buildings with special elements are "konakia", small farm houses, springs with characteristic "bousounari" or with a roof, water-mills and pigeon-houses (peristeriones). Characteristic elements of andriotic architecture are the visible slate stonework, "sardeloma" (outer plaster), "kanalos" (gutter), "stimata" (vertical slates) in stone-walls, etc. Many stone bridges are intact in various places of the island. Made of schist, simple and in harmony with the landscape, served as part of the old transport network.

andros_light

Places in Andros island

andros_batsi

Andros or Hora - the island's capital is an attractive town. The town is built on a high headland promontory that juts out into and divides up Kastrou Bay, leaving a beach way down below on either side. The mid-ages style houses, the neo-classical and island-type ones, in addition to the narrow alleys, the museums and the beaches, are the main attractions for every visitor.

Achla: Beautiful bay with sandy beach. (Northern of Andros Town).

Agios Petros: (3 Km NE from Gavrion) - here is a tower (20m height) from the Hellenistic period.

Batsi: is a cosmopolitan center surrounded by many villages. Is built around a sweeping sandy bay, with a little fishing harbour and a maze of narrow streets.

Fallika is the oldest monastery of the island.

 

More info can be found in the following links:


 
Back